With almost all of my pregnancies, I went though them pretty easily. I had light cases of morning sickness, most of it just felt similar to reading in the car too long. I never had to run to the bathroom when I caught a whiff of something I didn't like. I could eat meat, I craved watermelon. I didn't eat crazy things like potato chips dipped in ice cream. With my last child, I didn't even feel contractions until I was almost 9 centimeters. That was pretty awesome! I LOVE being pregnant. And I miss it sometimes.
So I was trying to come up with a comparison to how building a house feels. And one day a friend said something that was an 'ah-ha' moment. 'It's like being pregnant.' And just like that two words came to mind: MORNING SICKNESS. Now, like I said, I really didn't have it. But I had friends and family who did. And it sounded awful. If I had that, I'm sure we would have been a 'one and done' family. I don't deal with sickness, especially when it lasts, and lasts, and lasts.....so when morning sickness was compared to building a house, I finally can now say I am dead in the middle of morning sickness.
It seems like the building process is a roller coaster. One moment you are feeling great, then next you feel like running for the bathroom. You wake up feeling like you are ready to kick butt and take some names, and then you get the call that the crew has the flu, the company is 'reorganizing' and all your contacts have changed, the truss truck breaks down, details get missed and things get framed wrong.....all these little bouts of issues that make you want to rewind, go back to bed, and start again tomorrow. And for the record, all those things have happened to us in the last few weeks.
I'm being negative, I know. In the grand scheme of things, progress has been made, we now have walls framed! And the trusses are re-scheduled to come out tomorrow. The crew is about 50% better, with most of them finally breaking their 103 degree fever. A list of measurements that need to be fixed, or noted, or changed has been communicated across the board and should be right. We got a crazy good deal on a front door that is going to be UH-MAZING. We ordered granite, sinks, light fixtures and are in the middle of picking out paint colors. We know our flooring, we just need to order it. So there are silver linings. The project is moving forward, if nothing else, by the amount of air miles we are accumulating buying all of these things on our credit card. (And yes, paying it off every month.)
So, I'm going to try to focus on the little steps forward, have more grace with the big steps back...and I may dig out my sea bands that I used to wear when I did have days when I wasn't feeling so hot in those early months of pregnancy. They worked when I was pregnant, maybe they'll help while we build this house :) And I'll try to keep in mind that being pregnant and morning sickness was totally worth it in the end for every pregnant person I've ever talked to. The hard parts are worth it when you are holding a new baby in your arms, or in my case, a new house key!
I'll end with pictures, because that's the fun part anyways. Hopefully things will start moving more quickly in the next few weeks and a new post will show tons of progress. See, look at that optimism returning....writing is so therapeutic!
Lots of lumber! This is the construction access with the start of the garage framing. Behind it is the entry way into the laundry room.
Doors are there, which means they are on deck!
As are the windows! I'll be happy to get the house sealed up from the rain!
This is mid-framing. I'm standing in the far north corner of the house, which will be our bedroom. Front door is on the left, with the dining room next to it. The hallway with the mudroom, kids bath and their bedrooms are all over that direction. Open space is the great room/kitchen. The office is in the foreground of the picture, with the powder bath and closet marked off.
This is the opening for the super-sized door. Dining wall to the right, school room with french doors to the left.
And for all of you that missed it on Facebook, the door that will be going in. It's unfinished, so we will stain it (most likely dark). Doesn't it make B look tiny? I was worried about the windows in the door not being frosted or something for privacy, but the door is so big, an adult can't even see in...problem solved!






It's not even my house and I got all excited seeing the package with "DOORS" written on it, and then the windows. OMG! I am excited for you guy. It must be hard to let the frustrations roll off your back, but stay focused on the end goal. YAY!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sarah. I can't wait for it to be done and have you, Nathan and Max over!!!
ReplyDelete